The term coaching and the coaching industry have taken off in recent years as people look to help better themselves to get what they want. So, it’s important to understand how I differ as a psychological coach before deciding whether my coaching approach is for you.
What is coaching?
Coaching is “a collaborative, solution-focused, results-oriented, and systematic process in which the coach facilitates the enhancement of work performance, life experience, self-directed learning and personal growth of the coachees.”Association for Coaching (2000). Grant, A.M. Retrieved 10th September 2019 from: Certificate in Coaching Program, Centre for Coaching Manual.
… in other words, coaching fosters change, through collaborative facilitation. It requires you to learn for yourself and become a self-directed learner, so you are able to unlock your potential through the encouragement of self-insight based on the present and the future.
What is Psychological Coaching?
Adding to the above description, psychological coaching also uses a flexible, results-focused, collaborative format. However, the approach, techniques and outcomes are different. Specifically tailored to you and your goals, it is based on the present and the future as opposed to resolving past issues. Another way to look at how a psychological coach works within the coaching counseling spectrum is with this diagram:
I am a coach who can help you enhance your psychological flexibility by unblocking your thinking barriers. I can give you tools and techniques to cope, to manage anxiety and fear, while helping you learn to coach yourself. Looking at who you are now and focusing on your values, strengths and abilities, I will help you unlearn unhelpful psychological habits and patterns to think clearly with focus and determination.
Some areas I have coached clients in include, but aren’t limited to the following:
- Not getting what you want
- Anxiety – including being anxious of change
- Stress – either personal or within the workplace
- Lack of commitment, mental laziness, confidence
- Motivation – to make a change, to move forward
- Low frustration tolerance, impatience
- Concerns about criticism, fear of failure
- Meaning in life
Tools & Techniques:
Depending on your goals, your wants and your personality, I will put together a bespoke individual program based on the approaches below. I work with the whole person, not just the specific goal, creating a mind-changing thinking process that is tailored to who you are and how you want to flourish. I use a combination of the following therapeutic theories and techniques:
- ACC (Acceptance & Commitment Coaching) – utilising the tools and techniques from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).
- CBC (Cognitive Behavioural Coaching) – utilising the tools and techniques from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
- Positive Psychology – utilising strengths-based applications and Positive Psychology Interventions (PPIs).
- GROW – I have adapted the “Goal, Reality, Options, Will” technique from the coaching sector to help overcome psychological barriers specific to your goals.
- SPACE model – developed by psychologist Nick Edgerton (who taught me directly), the model works with your: Situation, Physical, Actions, Cognitions, and Emotions to help identify changes that can be made based on the overall body in the present moment.
- PLUS other tools and techniques that are specifically designed for you.
If you are looking for a coach who can help you address those psychological blocks holding you back and help to enhance your psychological flexibility, you’ve come to the right place. I offer individually designed solution-focused psychological coaching programs, developed to equip you with the skills to enhance your psychological flexibility and overcome any challenge you may face.
Choosing a coach can be difficult, but I am happy to help you find the best coach for you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I would be happy to talk to you in confidence and without obligation and discuss your goals, your needs, and your wants.Let's connect on social media...